Sponsors

Sponsors

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I had done this event two years ago and remembered how difficult the start was, but I also knew that soon after the start there was a short descent on which to catch my breath. The course climbs steadily, but has many dips and climbs, so I was keen to make the most of my Scale 29er. This type of riding is ideally suited to the big wheels, although it does require a slight change in technique. Most of the climbs were relatively short, so rather than stay seated as I would normally, mostly I was climbing out of the saddle in a big gear.



The plan was to draft for as long as I could, and any overtaking could be done on the hills. Although the start took off at a furious pace, I was able to keep up.

The course continues to climb until the highest point at 34 km, and the hurt gets stronger and stronger and I got to the point where the only solution was a tube of Peak Fuel. I was also suffering from a sharp pain in my left leg, which I though may have been caused by my seat slipping down. So I stopped and raised it a little.

Then the river crossings began. Lots of them, some of them quite deep. Funnily enough, this was where I started to gain ground on the other competitors, perhaps it was due to my having the peak fuel, or maybe the cooling effect of the water splashing on my face. Whatever, I was back on form!

Then the highest point of the race came, and I managed to convince myself that it was all downhill from there! I took off and began passing people, cruising at about 30 km/h! The onto Soho creek, wow! Spectacular views of the valley, and a drop off that looked dangerous. This was the point at which we started to catch up with the runners, who all kept left, allowing those of us on bikes to take the right hand line. This was fast and furious and I was riding with two other people on 29ers, although they both had full suspension. I am happy to report that I was the fastest to the bottom!

There were more river crossings to come, and then finally the track up to the finish at Arrowtown. I was being chased down by another rider for this last section, and succumbed to the pressure at the last river crossing – I took a bad line and he got past. I finished in 2:24, third in my category.

After I had finished, I got back on my bike and went to greet my team-mates at the last river crossing. Sasha came through ten minutes after me to take third in the elite women’s category and Sadie ten minutes after her for second in the Masters women.

I had two goals for this ride. The first was to beat 2 hours and 30 minutes, and the second was to ride all of the river crossings. I achieved both. By far the biggest thrill of the weekend, though, was riding down the Crown Range Road on Sunday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment